Enhance your practise with herbal extracts.
Discover how to make and use your own herbal extracts so that you can apply them in treatments for your clients.
Get CPD points*
*check eligibility with your professional association.
Classes coming up
in June in IRELAND *FULLY BOOKED* (to get on the waiting list please email email@example.com)
and August in LONDON, UK (places available).
While aromatherapists love and use plant extracts (that’s what essential oils are after all!) there are many other herbal extracts that can easily be made at home and combine beautifully with essential oils to enhance treatments. Herbal infused oils such as arnica, calendula (marigold) and comfrey are widely available from aromatherapy suppliers and are often used as base oils by aromatherapists but there are dozens of options for using other therapeutic herbs to make your own infused oils to help to treat a wide variety of conditions in your clinic. Other topical herbal treatments include poultices, compresses and linaments. These techniques are easy to use when you know how and are deeply therapeutic. There are dozens of local medicinal herbs growing around you such as daisy, plantain, mullein etc. There are also culinary herbs with medicinal properties e.g. rosemary, thyme, sage etc that can be put to good use in topical treatments too. Extracts can be made from herbs bought in from professional herbal suppliers or grown and dried at home.
This class includes:
How to make: herbal infused (macerated) oils, poultices, linaments & compresses (we will also try these out in the class)
Recommended medicinal herbal infusions (therapeutic teas) to accompany these treatments (including tea tastings).
Theory and safety of using these medicinal herbs and extracts.
2 x samples of herbal infused oils made on the day to bring home.
All made with certified organic ingredients.
- How to make these
- Record keeping, cleanliness, GMP, traceability, storage of oils and ingredients, shelf-life etc. The admin and legal requirements of making your own extracts for use in your clinic.
- Herbs suitable for infused oils for different ailments and treatments e.g. herbal infused oils to improve circulation, lymphatic function, relieve chest infections, enhance skin healing, ease aches and pains, relax muscles etc.
- For each herb: therapeutic action, safety (adults/children/pregnancy/any potential drug interaction issues/contraindications for use), ratio of recommended dilution etc.
- Combining infused oils with essential oils: enhancing the therapeutic action of essential oils, reducing exposure to allergens, safety for practitioners and clients etc.
- Adding local therapeutic herbs to aromatherapy treatments e.g. daisy, cleavers, mullein, plantain etc. Expanding your options for treatments in your clinic. Reducing the cost of buying in products by making some of your own.
- Making your own; buying/commissioning bespoke runs from specialist herbal suppliers.
- Using infused oils to make ointments, balms and other topical treatments.
- A brief overview of techniques for drying herbs properly, for people who would like to make extracts from their own garden.
- List of recommended suppliers of dried herbs.
Recommended Herbal Tea Blends to Enhance Treatments
- Safe and effective herbal teas to recommend to enhance treatments e.g. improve general health, nourish the body, improve circulation, digestion, lymphatic function, pregnancy support, increase fertility etc.
- Key safety info and dosage info.
- Recommended suppliers of ingredients/blends.
Other Topical Treatments for Clinical Use
- Using essential oils, herbal infused oils and water/vinegar/hydrosol/alcohol extracts in poultices, linaments and compresses.
- The benefits and suitability of each type of treatment.
- Discerning when one type of treatment would be of benefit over another (e.g. active components that are extracted in to water, oil, vinegar etc).
- Making balms, ointments and body butters. The suitability of each type of topical treatment in terms of treating different conditions e.g. topical treatments to avoid that might aggravate a condition etc.
General Info Included
- Recipe handouts
- Recommended suppliers (dried herbs, base oils etc.)
Vivienne will make the following extracts in the class. Participants will get to handle and try out these extracts.
1. Infused oils: the whole process, including infused oil samples to bring home. Vivienne will make two different infused oils for two contrasting uses to help students to compare and contrast the different oils and understand how they would be of benefit in their clinic.
5. Herbal infusions (therapeutic strength herbal teas)…including tea-tastings.
Note: All ingredients used are certified organic.
WHO CAN ATTEND?
*This class is for qualified aromatherapists only.
*If you can’t manage the online booking system or would rather pay by postal order or cheque please contact me by email or phone.
*If this class has already sold out when you try to book it then please email me to get on the waiting list for the next class.
Within Ireland: 0868899168.
From outside Ireland: 00353868899168
BOOKING POLICY FOR ALL CLASSES
- The cost is for the workshop and includes the cost of materials used, hand-outs provided and herbal products to take home.
- Places are limited. Numbers of participants are always restricted to ensure quality of teaching (usually a max of 12 participants per class or 8 participants for hands-on classes).
- These classes are aimed at adults. Please contact me if you are under 18 and want to book a class (some venues do not allow under 18s on the premises).
- Classes are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Vivienne does not reserve places for people without payment. Payment of the full workshop fee is required in order to book your place.
- Please book in advance! These classes take lots and lots of preparation and require Vivienne to have hand-outs printed, enough stock ordered in and prepared for every class participant and (if on east coast) time to drive and set up on the other side of the country. Last minute bookings drive Vivienne totally mad! If a class isn’t full far enough in advance then Vivienne will cancel it. Don’t expect to ring the day before and be told that it’s ok to come along the next day.
Cancellations, Transfers & Refunds: If a cancellation is received 2 weeks or more before the class then the full fee will be refunded. Refunds are not available for cancellations received 2 weeks or less before the class date. This is because class size is always restricted to ensure quality of teaching and because lots of preparation, high quality stock and time and effort go in to running these classes! It would also mean lots of time messing around on my website re-listing and promoting the place in the class at the last minute and I’m not prepared to do this or to pay someone else to do it for me. Want more info? CLICK HERE to read my policy in full.
MLM reps: are welcome to attend my classes and learn from me but, I hereby make it known that I do NOT tolerate people using my classes to recruit customers or more reps for the pyramid scheme product that they use or sell. [MLM means ‘multi-level marketing’ company: sales reps get paid commission to recruit more customers and new sales reps]. Any MLM rep doing this will be told to leave this class and will not receive a refund. I don’t promote or endorse one brand of products at my classes. Instead I clearly teach people what ingredients actually are, how to use them safely and joyfully, and give a list of reliable suppliers of the highest quality ingredients. I do NOT receive a commission from these suppliers: they are my genuine recommendations based my years’ of experience as qualified herbalist, international educator and professional natural skincare formulator.
Vivienne has taught workshops since 2004.
Here’s what people have said about her classes over the years…..
“Really enjoyed the day. The obvious passion that Vivienne has for her topic. The hands-on was great combined with the wonderful smells were ‘amazing’. Would not hesitate to recommend this course. Leaves me wanting more. Thank you.”
“So interesting … and the spa treatments were a lovely ending. Vivienne is wonderful“
“Great day, very informative, you made it all look so simple. Very social and the room smelt FAB.”
“Just finished that serum we made in your class. It was the best thing I ever used for my skin.
My skin is so good now, I don’t have to use foundation any more.”
“Thank you for a lovely course. I found it really helpful and practical. Looking forward to cooking up some of my own lotions soon.”
“Fantastic 2 days. An interesting and very inspiring teacher. Loved every minute of it!”
“Attended both the natural cosmetic and herbal medicine courses in Gorey in January. Both courses were very informative and enjoyable. The only issue is the courses have left me wanting to know more! Thanks Vivienne.”