Start to make your own beautiful natural cosmetics at home from herbs, plant butters, oils and common food ingredients.
Learn about skin types, what can cause skin problems, why it can be problematic at different stages of life and how to select herbal ingredients to try to improve it with your home-made treatments.
Get my help! I support this course with regular Q&A webinars so that you can ask me your questions as you try out recipes, and get my tips and suggestions for making herbal products & treatments to suit YOUR skin type and preferences.
The course is delivered as a mixture of lessons with photos, videos and pdf guides, as well as optional live Q&A sessions.
LEVEL: For beginners, DIY beauty lovers and herbal enthusiasts
Hi, I’m Vivienne Campbell and I’m a qualified herbalist (2003).
*I love making natural skincare! I’ve been doing this since I was 19 (that was a very long time ago!).
*I’ve taught cosmetic-making workshops since 2010, had my own professional retail brand, consult & teach professional brands how best to use herbs in their products and gave a lecture in 2017 for the professional organic skincare school Formula Botanica.
*Because I run a herbal clinic I also understand the varied reasons that people can have skin problems. This can really help people choose ingredients that are more likely to suit their skin type and soothe issues with it so that they can make their own treatments and products for themselves at home.
*Because I’m a foraging teacher I love showing people local wild herbs that can be used in natural cosmetics: cleansers, toners, moisturisers, hair care, baths, even deodorants! But don’t worry if you’ve not got time or the access to grow or harvest fresh herbs: I know excellent herbal suppliers where you can buy dried herbs so you can get going right away using herbs at home to make your own extracts.
About this online course….
This course is for people who want to learn to make their own natural cosmetic products and pampering treatments at home for themselves.
We cover the cosmetic recipes & skills needed to make lip balms, body butters, cleansers, toners, moisturisers, serums, creams, after shave treatments and more starting with the easy techniques and building to the more complex ones.
We also learn about suitable herbs to use in products for dry skin, sensitive skin, acne-prone skin, deodorants, soothing skin etc.
My students have asked me for years to produce these classes online: here they are at long last!
Just some of the topics we’ll cover in this course ….
Body Products & Treatments
Facial Products & Treatments
Deodorising with Herbs
Relaxing & Reviving Herbal Baths
Creative ways for using waste and left-overs
Core ingredients for the cosmetic-makers’ Herbal Larder
Learn about skin-care & hair-care herbs you can grow, pick or buy ready to use
Learn at the level that suits you
About the course and how it works….
When it starts and how to use it:
* Access to the pre-recorded course lessons will be available from Tuesday 26th Jan 2021
* You will be sent your course access and login details in January
* Simply log in with your email address and password.
* There will be a mixture of videos, step-by step photo lessons and pdf guides.
* We’ll start with the basic techniques and build to the more complex ones over the weeks
* You can use and watch the lessons whenever it suits you.
* I’ll help you with your recipes and suitable ingredients for your skin type.
* We’ll have regular Q&A webinars so that you can try out the techniques and ask me your questions about making things.
* There will be a private Facebook group for this course so you can interact and share ideas with your peers should you want to.
* Students get life-time access to the pre-recorded course so you can look things up and refer back to it whenever it suits you.
>>PLUS on there will be BONUS LIVE CLASS with me:
‘Get to know your skin & your ingredients’
This is help you to start to understand which ingredients should work well for your skin type so that you can think about what you might like to try out in the recipes.
There will be 2 chances to attend this class,
in order to try to help people in various time zones.
14th January at 11am GMT (Ireland/UK time)
or 18th January at 7 pm GMT(Ireland/UK time).
What this course is NOT:
- This course does not cover professional cosmetic-making i.e. all the legal requirements, techniques and paperwork necessary for producing cosmetics that you want to sell. (I do run a course for people who want to use herbs in professional natural cosmetics. That specialist course runs several times a year. Check it out here: https://theherbalhub.com/herbs-in-professional-natural-skincare-online-classes)
- This is not a qualification. This is an informal course intended for home use. However if you are a practitioner who would like to use this learning towards CPD and you require a certificate of attendance then I’d be happy to issue this if you attend the live elements of the course (i.e. the Q&A webinar sessions).
- It doesn’t contain cosmetic products that are too advanced to make at home and/or require investing in specialist equipment to make them: E.g. shampoo, shower gel, conventional hair conditioners. It’s much better value to buy these!
- It does not contain soap-making. However, learning about herbs can certainly be of use to people who are keen soap-makers.
What will I need to do this course?:
* All the recipes and products can be made using common kitchen equipment e.g. pan, mixing bowls, whisks, weighing scales, measuring jugs etc. with the one exception of recipes that are emulsions (NOTE: For making emulsions you will need to purchase specialist weighing scales and recommended emulsifiers and a preservative. However emulsions will be the most advanced technique we cover so there is no need to get these until later and I’ll recommend very affordable ones for you because I know a few tricks!).
* You’ll need access to the internet so you can watch the lessons.
* SHOPPING LIST! In December I’ll send a list of what you need for making the products so that you can order the ingredients and equipment in time for the course starting and we get to work through it together as a group.
* I’ll also send you a list of recommended suppliers of ingredients (although many of them you’ll be able to buy from local shops and supermarkets).
Q. I can see a start date for this course but not an end date. How long will I have access to it for?
A. People get life-time access to the recorded bits of the course (i.e. prerecorded videos, photo lessons, pdfs and the video recordings from the live Q&A webinars) so you can look back at it whenever it suits you.
Q. Will this course always be supported with live Q&A sessions?
A. No. I’m very happy to do these regular live Q&A webinar sessions to answer people’s questions for the first time with this course (when it starts in Jan 2021) but I can’t promise I’ll be able to do them every year (although the pre-recorded course will always be available). I’m happy to give extra this time by offering these live sessions in 2021 because I realise how many people are at stuck at home due to the pandemic restrictions, have the opportunity to learn things online and how we all just generally really appreciate anything extra that cheers us up just now!
Q Will all the recipes be vegan?
A No, but most of them will. Some recipes will contain beeswax and/or honey but I will always list vegan alternatives where it’s suitable to do so e.g. rice bran wax, glycerine etc.
Q. I have already been to one of your natural cosmetic-making classes in person. Will this course be different? Would I learn anything new?
A. Yes, you’ll recognise some basic techniques but we’ll be working on more advanced versions and going much more in-depth learning about herbs and using them to personalise your treatments. Also, this course will teach emulsion-making so that’s new material too.
Q.I don’t know where to get ingredients. I either can’t find them or have bought ones that I didn’t like. Can you help me with this?
A. Yes, I’ve got a list of recommended suppliers to help you source the good stuff with ease!
Q I’m a formulator and make/am learning to make natural cosmetics that I sell. Should I do this course?
A. No, I think it’d be too basic, you might be bored and that you’d be much better to do my other course that helps formulators use herbs properly CLICK HERE FOR THAT COURSE. However I won’t stop you if you really want to join this one too/instead!
Q I have a gift voucher or credit note. Can I use it to buy this course?
A Yes you can! I’m especially delighted to be able to offer this online version for people who haven’t been able to come to classes.
Let’s have fun as we learn and do this together!